v0.53
Mac Rating: 5.00 | Votes: 1 | Date: 10/07/2026 04:38:00

The second-largest theatre of its kind in New England, the Providence Performing Arts Center (PPAC) at 220 Weybosset Street seats 3,100 across four levels: orchestra, loge, first dress circle, and second dress circle. Originally opened on October 6, 1928 as the Loew's State Movie Palace, the theatre was designed by Rapp and Rapp -- the leading designers of movie palaces at the time -- and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places. The building survived hurricane damage in the 1930s and 1950s, a period as the Palace Concert Theatre (hosting the Bee Gees, Queen, Fleetwood Mac, and Aerosmith in 1973-1974 alone -- King Crimson recorded the song "Providence" during a 1974 concert here), and near-demolition in the 1970s before reopening in 1978 as the Ocean State Theatre and becoming PPAC in 1982. A 1995 stage house expansion enabled large-scale touring productions like The Phantom of the Opera, Wicked, and Disney's The Lion King. Since 2008, PPAC has launched 24 national Broadway tours, making it one of the most important pre-Broadway and national tour launch venues in the country. The proscenium opening measures 52 feet wide by 33.5 feet high, with the stage spanning 106 feet in width. PPAC is a nonprofit organization that also operates extensive community outreach and education programs. It has been consistently ranked as one of the top ten entertainment venues of its size by Pollstar, Billboard, and VenuesNow.

Edit Description

Ratings (1)

Rating:
5.00

User Ratings


Your Rating

CHARACTERS left: 2000

Comments

CHARACTERS left: 2000