All about the Passion

Browse Descriptions for: Old Rock House

Add Description
Mac
Rating: 5 | Votes: 1 | Date: 03/07/2026 01:32:00

The name honours a building that no longer exists: an 1818 limestone riverfront warehouse where steamboat pilots drank and Mark Twain's cousin held the deed, dismantled in 1959 to clear ground for the Gateway Arch. Old Rock House, at 1200 South 7th Street in St. Louis, carries the ghost's name into the live-music present. The original's legend earned the tribute: known from Minneapolis to New Orleans as one of the liveliest spots on the river, it hosted a Depression-era nightclub whose resident...

Read more